Happy new month, friends! 🌸 I hope that you’re all doing well and staying safe. I think I’m adapting and accepting that the lockdown is our new norm and so these past few weeks haven’t been too overwhelming.
Lockdown has been interesting. I miss a lot of things, but I’ve learnt that I can totally live without them if it came to it. Eating out for example… who knew that cooking most of the time is good for you and your bank? When this is all over, I’m definitley going to eat out don’t get me wrong! But it’s nice to know that I can totally do without.
Exercise & lockdown
Exercising was one of the things that I thought was relatively easy to adapt at home. If you’ve been reading my blog for a while, you’d know that I actually started my fitness journey working out at home because I used to feel intimiated at the gym. I know staying healthy is totally doable at home! But I have started to I really miss the gym recently. As I got into a routine of going and shifting my focus to heavy lifting, the gym was the perfect space. Not to mention, it was great to just get away from home and forget about everything! True headspace.
Although I do miss the gym, I’ve still managed to smash out five workouts a week using what I have. Today, I wanted to share our current workout set-up at home! 💪🏼 It’s never going to be on the same scale as a proper gym (or even the garage gym everyone seems to have on Instagram), but I have enough to keep my body moving and earn those sparklez ✨
The workout space
Matt and I live in a one bedroom flat. Although it’s considerably larger than most one bedroom flats, it’s not a house and so we’ve had to be wiser with the space that we are working with.
Our living room has become both our home office, our gym and our chill out, home cinema and it’s-time-for-dinner zone. 🤣
Whatever we decide that we’re doing, we usually have to move a bit of furniture around to make the most out of the space. Totally multi-functional!
Everything in our home gym
- A bench
- Adjustable Dumbbells – These 40kg dumbbells are the ones that we bought from Argos. We actually got these last summer because I was keen in doing more home workouts whenever I slept in! 😂 It allowed me to get a quick session in before going into the office. I’m so thankful for them now. 🙌🏻
- Another set of dumbbells – These are some that Matt has had for a couple of years now. They’re super useful for lighter sets where I can’t do lift as heavy yet.
- 2.5kg dumbbells – Great for high-rep sets that I do to failure
- Resistance bands – These are from the original B_ND store by Grace Beverley. I’ve got a lighter one (pink) and heavier one (black)
- Yoga block from Yoga Matters – For my yoga practice which I’m doing a lot more of nowadays.
- Foam roller – I got these from Amazon a couple of years ago. Perfect for when I’m super sore (which is literally most days nowadays, home workouts hit different)
- Yoga mat from Yoga Matters
- Pull-up bar – It hasn’t fallen off the door frame yet which is always great 😂
I’m still going to get my pull up practice in. 💪🏼— Pauline P. Narvas (at home 🏰) (@paulienuh) March 19, 2020
We installed this pull up bar yesterday and now it’s all I’ve been doing 😂 Hopefully I get my strength back and will be able to do my 8 pull ups again!
3 weak ones I’m fine with for now 😁 #pawgainz pic.twitter.com/5bowfTACXu
Things that are not specifically for working out but I use sometimes:
- A table
- Chairs / sofa
Just super useful for a range of different exercises.
A look at what my workout routine is like
Last month, I filmed and put together a “Day in my Life” video which covers my morning routine (including my workout) as well as a look at working from home! If you’re interested in how I use the space to workout, check out the video.
(Bare in mind though, we moved around the furniture after I filmed this so it may look a bit different 😆)
I’m curious! For my fellow gym enthusiasts, how are you all doing? 😂 And how have you adapted to our new lockdown situation where the gyms are closed?
I know not everyone has the space or money to purchase gym equipment, so I encourage to get out and go for a walk or run if you can (obviously adhering to social distancing rules) Also remember the power of bodyweight exercises. I spent most of my first year of my health journey with only doing bodyweight exercises mixed in with a walk! You’d be surprised.
Another thing to bare in mind is not to panic if you can’t workout right now. We’re in the middle of a global pandemic that is affecting us all at varying levels. We might put on a bit of weight whilst we’re in lockdown and that’s fine – I wrote an Instagram post all about weight gain. All in all, let’s be kinder to ourselves. It’s more important now than ever before!
Stay safe everyone 🙏
Leave a Reply